Monday, April 21, 2014

Forming Philosophical Questions

Happy Monday!

  • By the end of the period today you will submit your question proposal to me.  Here is a link to the form with some very basic questions. The goal here is just to get the ball rolling and to give me a chance to engage in some conversation with you about your ideas.  Please paste the form into a new google document, complete it, and submit it to me through turnitin.com. This is the easiest way for me to keep track of and respond to your work.


Today you will work on choosing the philosophical question (or assertion) that will become the focus of your essay. In your packet I gave you a series of possible questions to consider, as well as questions for you to use to expand and focus your thinking.

Here are some other resources from the web I've gathered. Browse through them today - see if anything catches your eye:

Once you have an idea you think you want to work with, I recommend doing some free-writing about it. This may form the basis of what you will write in section 1.  You may want to use these questions we tested out when we discussed Frankl's book last week:


  1. What are its assumptions and premises?
    1. What is it assuming to be true?
    2. What conditions is it assuming to exist?
    3. What is it suggesting about the different people involved?
  2. What are its implications?
    1. If this is true then what else is true?  Why?
  3. What different types or contexts exist?
    1. When does / doesn’t it work?
  4. What do the specific terms mean?
  5. Who else shares this belief or perspective, and why?
    1. Are there other people in the book who this does / doesn’t apply to?  Why?
  6. Where do you stand in terms of this idea?
    1. Do you agree / disagree with it?
    2. Does it apply only in certain circumstances?
    3. Do you only accept parts of the idea?


Here are two examples of a brainstormed series of questions.  One tries to narrow it down and sharpen the focus, while the other seeks to expand it.


How do I narrow down my question? 
How do I make my question manageable and specific?

For example:  What is the meaning of life?
  • Whose life am I talking about?
  • What gives my life meaning?
  • What do I mean by “meaning”?
  • What can I do to give my life the kind of meaning that makes my spirit soar, that makes me feel like I’m making this world a little better place to live in?
  • What speaks for and against each of these perspectives?
  • How can I give my life the kind of meaning that makes my life worthwhile for me?

How do I expand my question?  How can I more thoroughly explore it?

For example:  How can we overcome alienation?
·         Is alienation something we always want to overcome?
·         How does our life change for the better / worse if we are alienated?
·         What are the different types or degrees of alienation?
o   Is it possible to be completely alienated?
·         What exactly does alienation mean?  What does it mean to overcome it?
·         Are we able to control being alienated?
·         Why would others want to alienate someone?