Sunday, February 22, 2015

Life of Pi - The Ordeal at Sea

This past week we spent time exploring the thoughts and actions of Pi as he survived his 227 days lost in the Pacific Ocean. Many of the chapters have little action, focusing instead on everything from catching fish to taming Richard Parker to Pi's sense of wonder.

We started the week - on Wednesday - by gathering lines from these chapters and re-writing them into found poems.  Here is a link to the full set of poems you created. In those poems you created a refrain - a line to be repeated at the end of each verse or at other parts of the poem.  Here are those lines you created, comprised of words you selected from these chapters:

  • I was number one
  • I master I master; I tamed I tamed
  • And time would be gobbled up
  • I die, I die
  • Like Richard Parker
  • God was not the reality
  • You can get used to anything, I promise. Salvation, I promise.
  • Time became boredom for me; in the way it was for all mortals
  • Morality is a state of exalted wonder
  • We were emaciated mammals; parched and starving
  • So you see
  • I wanted a symbol of time
  • Don’t give up
  • the whistle
  • I can hardly believe it myself

Next, we read chapter 90 aloud in class (thanks for the people who read!). In this chapter, the first after Pi writes "today I will die" in his journal, Pi has a conversation with Richard Parker and with another blind person (Pi temporarily loses his sight) in the Pacific.

Just after that, in chapter 92, the believability of Pi's story becomes even more of a challenge. He admits it at the start of this chapter which takes us to an island filled with fresh water and meerkats, but soon turns out to be carnivorous. Pi and Richard Parker decide to flee.

In class you read the story of the Garden of Eden from the Book of Genesis. We explored the ways in which the archetype of Eden helps us to think about this challenging section of the novel.


This coming week, we'll see how the novel wraps up - then we'll start to ask and answer some "big questions."